Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Yarn choice

Updated: fixed the link.

I'm going to be knitting Martha for the KAL, but I'm still thinking about my yarn choice.

I haven't seen Rowan Cotton 4-ply myself, so it's hard to know what it's like as a yarn, compared to my bog-standard 4-ply from Spotlight or the LYS.

I'm suspicious of how the colour will actually be, as opposed to on the web. I've learned this lesson the hard way (12 not-very-silvery skeins of tweedy 4-ply, anyone?). I'm not overly fussy about colours, but I like to know what I'm getting.

And there's no LYS in Auckland that stocks the yarn. There is a woman who runs a studio of sorts, but her range is limited, and I'd have to make an appointment to see her, which means I'd feel obliged to buy yarn.

(I realise that buying yarn is generally a good thing, but with a big move in sight, I've promised The Trouser to temporarily cease all yarn-buying that is not project-related.)

And onceyou get the yarn, there's the bead choice. I do have *a lot* of beads left over from my modified Bianca, but then do I really want two beaded cardigans with the same colour beads? And such heavy beads at that!

So I'm still thinking...

5 Comments:

Blogger Eatsruns said...

There's a Knitworld in Auckland, isn't there? They stock Rowan. I got my yarn from Jannette's Rare Yarns on eBay, I think it's ok. But then, cotton is cotton really and if you can find a nice colour at Spotlight or wherever I say go for it.

The link to your Bianca doesn't seem to work. I think I'm going to use little clear beads for mine - the smallest that will fit on the yarn.

2:22 PM  
Blogger The Skirt said...

Whoops - fixed the link, sorry!

Knitworld here in Auckland doesn't stock Rowan - they will order it in for you, but you don't get to see it first.

3:37 PM  
Blogger Eatsruns said...

Oooh, I love Bianca! I don't think you can have too many beaded cardigans though! What colour do you want to make Martha in?

I'll be able to start mine soon - nearly done with Sizzle (I should post progress really) so I'll just need to buy some beads and I'll be ready to go!

3:45 PM  
Blogger The Skirt said...

Was thinking maybe pale green...

1:13 PM  
Blogger Eatsruns said...

Same here! I've got the 4ply cotton in cooking apple!

1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home